Summer flew by and we are a less than a week from Halloween! How did that even happen?! My summer was filled with a lot of great memories including my 30th birthday, a wonderful vacation to Canada and lots of baking. But now we are in full swing of fall and I love it. Fall is hands down my favorite season, I love the leaves changing, I love the chilly crisp air and I LOVE all the fall baking.
I have made these zombie cookies before but never using this spiced pumpkin cookie recipe. This recipe makes ALL the difference. It’s not too sweet which makes it the perfect base to decorate with the super sweet royal icing.
Feel free to use different cookie cutters (I had these Zombie Cookie Cutters on hand) or not decorate with royal icing, these cookies are yummy without anything on them!
Spiced Pumpkin Cookies
- 3 cups Unbleached All-purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoons Ground Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon Cloves
- 3/4 cups Salted Butter, Cut Into Chunks
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Packed Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Canned Pumpkin Puree
- Royal Icing, Unflavored
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and spices together. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugars together until light and creamy (about 3-4 minutes). Beat in the egg and pumpkin, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- On low speed, add the flour, mixing just until combined, scraping down the bottom of the bowl occasionally.
- Refrigerate the dough for 20–30 minutes before rolling. The pumpkin makes it a little sticky.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- On a floured surface and with a floured rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out the shapes, then freeze on the cookie sheet for 5–10 minutes before baking. Re-roll the scraps and continue cutting out cookies. Freezing the cookies will keep the cookies from spreading while baking.
- Bake for 10–12 minutes, depending on the size of the cookies. Let rest on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cookies are cooled, decorate with royal icing.
Adapted from Pioneer Woman